Saturday, November 26, 2011

Lukion Gaala (High School Gala)


Last weekend my school hosted a gala to celebrate ninety years as a school.
Poikentanssi, the second time through
Leading up to the gala, we learned how to dance…or more truthfully we learned some choreography. Every year, the second grade boys do a Poikentanssi (Boy’s Dance). It is organized by some of the second grade girls in the dance program. I was invited to participate and we started rehearsing over a month in advance. Some days, we (second grade boys) would find out about a rehearsal just five or so minutes before it began. Or maybe it was just me because I’m the exchange student and I don’t really understand every conversation. Also, every grade has a choreographed grade dance. I asked the counsellor which rehearsal I should go to and he just said go to the second graders and if that doesn’t work try the third graders. In the second grade, everyone was supposed to dance with the same partner they had last year…I was paired with a girl name Mira who hadn’t been at the gala last year. After the second grade rehearsal (which was kind of like a glorified line dance) I asked the dance teacher if I should come to the third grade rehearsal too and she said that of course I should, especially because it would be very easy. For your information, this conversation with the teacher was entirely in Finnish. In the afternoon I went to the third graders rehearsal and as soon as I walked I heard “Peter will you be my partner” from Hanna, who happened to go to Canada last summer and stay with the best friend of another Rotary Exchange Student here in Finland. The third graders’ “dance” was a march. We promenaded around the stage in circles, lines, and curlicues.
Sort of dark, but this is the Kolmosen Tansi (3rd graders)
Also leading up to the open house portion of the day, I rehearsed with the koulunbändi (school band). Originally I had been asked to perform a solo oboe piece. But I don’t have an oboe to play, nor music, nor have I practiced since June. The band is composed of a guitarist, bass guitarist, percussionist, pianist, several singers, and the teacher who plays guitar and sings. I sang. We prepared “Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For” originally by U2. My “job” was to make sure that everyone was pronouncing the words correctly. On the day of the gala, I had my Finnish lesson at school first thing in the morning. Then I left it early for a dress rehearsal with the bändi. I thought that after it was done I would have an hour to come home and get ready for the open house….I was wrong. I left the rehearsal early (12:10), raced home and got all prettied up before arriving back at school for 12:30.
Kalle the Pianist
The afternoon was the celebratory ceremony. The first thing was an amazing piano performance by my friend Kalle, who is an aspiring classical pianist. Next, the school principal welcomed everyone. Then the cast of the drama production presented a preview of their play “Jääkärit” which would be performed in its entiretly at the gala in the evening. Paula, the minister of the church gave quite a lengthy speech; once she was finished, the person beside me said “and that was the bible according to Paula”. There was a Bollywood dance performed by the girls in the dance program at school and then our bändi performed. Afterwards there were more speeches: the town leader (not the mayor, because there is no mayor), a representative from the Finnish High Schools organization. The closing remarks were by a member of the European Parliament. Finally, we all sang the national anthem “Maamme” (Our Land). In preparation for coming to Finland, I learned the lyrics and how to play the national anthem on the piano and this was my first opportunity to sing it. I needed the words for the second verse, but so did all of the Finns. After the open house, we had coffee and cake and then the first graders (with my help) moved all of the tables and chairs from the cafeteria into the gymnasium.
In the evening, the real gala began. This is very similar to Prom except all of the students attended it. There is another such event in February, but it is only for the second graders. All of the girls had beautiful evening gowns and all of the guys looked like penguins (by that I mean wearing suit and tie). We were welcomed into the gymnasium and were gazed upon by the many parents and friends in the bleachers. As we walked in the main doors, we were offered champagne (non-alcoholic of course). Kalle was the first act on the agenda yet again, and he treated us to another marvellous performance. Then after a welcome by the principal we ate several appetizers, the special guests first, and then everyone else. In a joking manner, I thought that I should be considered as special guest, but alas I was not. 
The Curtain Call of Jääkärit
Then the real show began. Jääkärit was a fantastic show about Finland fighting for its independence. It had several musical numbers and dance interludes. On my first day in Kauhava, the counsellor asked if I wanted to be in the play but I said I should learn Finnish first; I regret saying that and I wish I had been part of it. At the end of the play, all of the second grade guys got changed into our performance outfits: cut off jean shorts and white t-shirts. A couple days earlier I went to the second hand store right around the corner from the school and bought the jeans for only 2 euros! Our dance was to a compilation of Moves like Jagger, Little Bad Girl, and I’m Sexy and I Know. I had a “solo”; after the introduction music faded out and we blamed the school counsellor for cutting of the music I shouted “Hey DJ, turn the music up”. After our performance the crowd liked it so much that we did it again! 
Kakosen Tanssi (2nd graders). Sorry again that it's dark.
The next thing on the agenda was the first graders’ class dance which I didn’t get a chance to see because I was changing back into my formal wear. Then the second graders had our dance which was simple but nice. Then immediately after, the third graders performed our march. Afterwards, there was a short break while the Kauhava Big Band set-up. This ball was not like prom back at home: students danced instead of fist pumped. Even though I have never waltzed before in my life, I took the plunge and my first dance was with Paula (one of the few that comes to my English class). It took me a few songs with a few different girls, but I was able to keep one foot ahead of the other without hitting too many others. It is exhausting being the man in a dancing couple, because you have to navigate through the dance floor and everyone is spinning…Anyways, I also tried to tango, which is sort of like the two step that we learned in middle school. I wanted the big band to play a fast swing tune because I still remember how to jive dance, but regrettably they did not play one.
After the gala came to an end, I went home, changed, and then went to the after party (which I had to buy a ticket for in advance). The after party was for first and second graders who are not yet of legal drinking age, because all (well, most) of the third graders caught a bus to the bar in Seinäjoki. There was some dancing (the fist pumping genre) and lots of conversation. Lots of people who previously haven’t spoken to me, but added me as a facebook friend, got the courage to talk with me for a bit. And what would a Nordic party be without ABBA karaoke?

Sorry this post was a bit lengthy, but I wanted to make sure that I will remember the whole day!

1 comment:

  1. Hanna showed me gala from last year on youtube :) it looked like everything was so much fun :)

    ReplyDelete