Monday, November 21, 2011

Kirkkokuoro ja Peterin Puhe (Church Choir and Peter's Speech)


So, some key points of the last couple weeks. Sorry for the lack of pictures.
My new classes are pretty great. For the civics class, the teacher is in my host Rotary Club and he attempts to translate stuff into English for me; the only trouble is that he translates the parts that I already understand. My geography class is all about human geography: population density, culture, etc. I really like my chemistry stuff. They are just starting work with stoichiometry, concentration, and gases which are things that I like to think I mastered in my AP Chemistry class back home. I understand lots of what the teacher says; the hardest part is trying to learn the names of all the elements in Finnish. I am again in two math courses: the second graders are learning about root and logarithmic functions while the third graders have started their first of two review courses in preparation for their matriculation examination in the spring. And, of course, I am in an English class called “Use Your English” in which students are supposed to speak only English; there are supposed to be 15 students in the class but our first class had only 7 students and it has consistently declined.
This is the best photo I took of the choir during the concert.
I joined the church choir! I have really missed being in choirs back at KSS and after hearing the church choir, I decided to join it. My friend Liisa hooked me up with the rehearsal times and I came to a rehearsal and introduced myself (in Finnish of course). My timing was sort of not the best, as they were preparing for a concert on the upcoming Sunday to celebrate 80 years as the Kauhavan Kirkkokuoro. I am the only “young” guy in the choir (by about 25 years), but there are some girls my age. I am a pretty good sight reader when it comes to vocal charts, but it’s quite hard when all the words are in Finnish and when the second, third, and fourth verses aren’t printed in line with the notes…but there are some great singers in my section. Some songs recognizable to non-Finns would include Amazing Grace and Handle’s Hallelujah Chorus. On Sunday morning, I got a text message from Liisa asking me to perform in the choir’s concert that night, but I had to politely refuse the invitation as I felt I wouldn’t be prepared enough. Sunday evening I attended the concert at the church and it was fantastic. Some songs were done acapella while others had accompaniment of piano, organ, or a string sextet. My friend Liisa sang a very beautiful solo. During the week I used the CD I had received to start learning the music. The next Thursday I went to the rehearsal, and we were recording a new CD; I was recording a CD with some music I was even reading for the first time!
During one of my English classes this past week, I was the teacher! Our teacher had some meetings regarding the upcoming gala so she asked me if I could run the class. This is my very small class. Only three students attended. But I think we had some pretty good conversations and “Used our English” (which is the name of the course).
I have accomplished some things in my free time. I wrote my 100 day update for the Rotex Roundup newsletter of the Rotary Exchange program in my district back in Canada. I sent this too some of my former teachers at KSS because several of them said they wanted to be updated of my journeys throughout the year. With the help of my loving and supportive family back home, I completed a big scholarship application including a couple essays and lots of forms.
Although it was neither asked of nor expected of me, I decided to give a little speech last Thursday at Rotary. I called it “Peterin Puhe” (Peter’s Speech). Thanks to Kalle for proof reading this before I presented it.
Sata päivää! Minä olen ollut sätä päivää Kauhavalla. Nyt minä puhun suomea paljon paremmin kuin sspuessani, mutta minä opin koko ajan. Viime vikolla minä liityin kirkkokuoroon. Kanadassa, minä olin koulukuorossa ja pidän laulamisesta. Koeviikolla, minä tein kolme koetta: kakkosen ja kolmosen matiikka, ja espanjankieli. Minä sain 9 ½, 9 ½, ja 9-. Lukion gaala on lauantaina ja olen valmis tanssimaan. Ensi viikonloppuna, minä vaihdan seuraavaan perheeseen. Heilla on pikkutyttö joka ei puhu englantia. Joten hän puhuu vain suomea minun kanssani. Minua jännittää menen Lappin Rotaryn kanssa jolukuun ensimmäisellä viikolla. Kiitos, että saan olla kaupungissanne.
One hundred days! I have been in Kauhava for one hundred days. Now I speak Finnish much better than when I arrived, but I am always learning. Last week I joined the church choir. In Canada, I was in school choir and I like to sing. During test week, I wrote three tests: second and third grade math, and Spanish language. I received 9 ½, 9 ½, and 9- (out of 10). The high school’s gala is on Saturday and I am ready to dance. Next weekend I change to my next host family. They have a little girl who doesn’t speak English. So, she will speak only Finnish with me. I am excited to go to Lapland with Rotary in the first week of December. Thank you for having me in your city!

Stay tuned for another blog entry all about the gala at school.

No comments:

Post a Comment