Saturday, August 06, 2011

Flight Number Yksi (EWK-see)

It is not even eight o'clock am and I already have lots to say. (ok by the time I post this it might be just after eight...mmm after eight chocolates)
Grandma drove up to Kelowna last night so that she could say farewell at the airport early the next morning. She and my mom tried to help me pack.
Last night I stayed up packing until 1 am. I woke up to the wonderful sound of my alarm clock at 4 am. I proceeded to make my breakfast, pack those last minute items and have a shower, all of which I intended to do before 4:30 so that we could be at the Kelowna airport by 5.... it didn't quite happen that way
I don't know what happened really; I guess I just fell behind schedule. When we arrived at the airport it was about 5:15. Now I have caught the 6:00 flight to Vancouver from Kelowna and arrived at the airport later than that but... I went to the Horizon Air counter where I was glad to see a very short line; it was short because I was running "late". After my bags got checked, the person told me that I needed to run to make the flight. At security screening I took out my computer, like I was supposed to. I passed through the scanner 100% metal free. But then my computer would not fit into my backpack!
It was an average flight. I had orange juice, looked at the clouds and mountains, read the YLW magazine, and did a word search.
I went through customs like everyone else. The baggage carousel had a mechanical problem but only took a few moments to be fixed. But then I got confused! Some people were dropping off bags and some people were going through another security screening but I knew I wasn't supposed to do either of these. I asked for help and got directed to the train which took me to the main terminal so I could proceed to check in to my next airline.
I have two suitcases, which can be tricky on escalators. The first two escalators I managed fine, but the third time is a charm and my bag got on the wrong step in a weird position so I tried to fix it but manged to fall down the stairs with my water bottle popping out of my backpack while I was at it. (The kind man behind me tossed me my bottle once I was stabilized)
Next, I headed to the United check-in counter, which was at the far side of the terminal, because my itinerary said my direct flight to Frankfurt was United. However the flight attendant told me United direct to Frankfurt, and it was probably a code share flight with Lufthansa. So then I had to go all the way back to the other side of the terminal to go to the Lufthansa counter, just to find that it doesn't open until 10:30 am.
I am writing this while I sit and wait for the check-in counter to open.

PS- happy birthday Grandad

No comments:

Post a Comment