Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Helmikuu loppuu (February is ending)


Kimmo measuring some copper (II) sulphate solution
So there is a new jakso at school. I am taking an äidinkieli, mother language, course (aka Finnish). Its focus is on spoken Finnish so I thought I might be able participate in an effort to improve my spoken Finnish skills. I think my favourite course of this jakso will be Chemistry 6 which is a työkurssi, meaning that it is a class for doing experiments. It is sort of similar to Physical Lab Studies at KSS except at a lower level. Unlike high school in Kelowna, during normal chemistry courses there are no experiments to help cement the concepts. This is my schedule:

Maanantai
Tiistai
Keskiviikko
Torstai
Perjantai
8-10
Chemistry 6

Physics 7

Music 7
10-11:35
Math 12
English 6
English 6
Chemistry 6
Math 12
12:20-14
Physics 7
Chemistry 6
Math 12
English 6

14-15:30
Finnish 7
Physics 7
Finnish 7
Finnish 7

The band on the bridge. I'm in red with my oboe.
As I’ve previously mentioned, I am now performing in the local band. We had our first ‘gig’ last week. There is a new pedestrian bridge in my town and we played at the grand opening. Outside. On the bridge. In the freezing cold.
The protesters in the market square
The main employer in my town of Kauhava in the Finnish Air Force’s Lentosotakoulu (flying war school). A couple of weeks ago the federal government announced that this school would be closing down in a couple of years. This upset almost the entire population of Kauhava as it is the major economic engine of the town. When I first heard the news I initially thought, ‘That will kill Kauhava.” I really do think it would be horrible for the town. Both of the host families that I have had work at the lentosotakoulu: my first host father Jarmo is a mechanic and my current host father Petri (aka Major Kettunen) is a teacher. Anyways, on the weekend I attended a peaceful demonstration in support of keeping it open. An estimated 400 people attended, including local and federal officials who are against the closure. The event was covered on national news (and I saw my bright red toque on Finnish television!) Hopefully, for the sake of all Kauhavalaiset, the school will be kept open.
Saila and me.
I went tobogganing with my host family. We went to Mäenpää (the hill’s head) which is an area of Kauhava. We brought makkara and hot chocolate and it made for a nice afternoon.
The revontulet were very difficult to get a good photo of.
Last night, I was given a real treat. I was able to see the Aurora borealis shining above my town. My friends who live in Lapland were posting about how they were seeing the northern lights and I thought, well, maybe this is my chance. I checked the US government’s aurora forecast and it showed that within an hour they should be visible over my area of Finland. I set an alarm on my phone to go off every 15 minutes to remind me to check outside. Nothing. Then my friend in Seinäjoki (south of Kauhava) said she could see them. So I went outside to take a look. I kept looking north, because they are the northern lights. Nothing. I turned around to go inside and BAM! The south western sky was light up green. I ran to the other side of the house. Then I abandoned post for a split second to get Saila, my 4 year old host sister, to come look at them. From what I gather, it is quite rare that they are visible from Kauhava. I am super happy that I got to see them and I'm sorry for the other exchange students who missed out.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Peter
    Nice to see you out with the Band.
    Sure enjoy your blogs.
    It must be upsetting for the town to have the Airforce shut down the traing school.Is Findland
    in financial difficulty like many other countries in the World? Yes the Nothern lights are quite something to see. Love G&G &tucker

    ReplyDelete