Thursday, December 22, 2011

Joulukuu asiat (December things)

Saila, minun pikkusiskoni, ja minä (Saila, my little sister, and I)
The day after my Lapland trip, I intended on going to school even though I was most definitely sleep deprived. Apparently my lack of sleep caught up with me and I slept through my alarm Thursday morning. That afternoon I made pippurikakku (gingerbread cookies) with my two younger host siblings Saila and Konsta. When we rolled out the dough my host mother grabbed some stuff from a cupboard and gave me cookie cutter: the shape of Finland! Thursday evening I rode my bicycle to Rotary, just to find out that they weren’t having a meeting.
The next day, surprise surprise, I slept in again, but this time it wasn’t too late and I made it to the second half of my geography lesson. I had a free period from 10 o’clock until after lunch with a few of my friends so we went to Rolls to eat lunch. After that, we went to a café for some warm beverages before heading to my last class of the day.
Sampo with the puck.
On Saturday I supported my brothers’ hockey games. First Sampo had a game in Vaasa. After my Finnish class (my last one of 2011), Sampo and Petri picked me up at the school and we drove to the ice rink in Vaasa. Sampo’s team won (I think it was something like 8 to 5). Also while we were there, my Rotary counsellor was there because he has some high rank in the hockey referees’ association. After the game, we ate dinner and headed off to meet Konsta at his game. His team also won (8 to 6 I think). I watched more hockey that one day (two full games) then I think I ever have in a single day.
L to R: Kalle, Henri, Kimmo (joulupukki), Niko, ja minä
Sunday, a bunch of exchange students met up in Seinäjoki. I caught the train! My first time! (excluding the TGV in France). I realized when I bought my ticket that I really needed to get a student card because the ticket fare was double what I thought it would be. My friend Hanna was on the same train so we chatted. After I got off the train I realized I left my phone on the seat. Way to go me. I immediately went to the ticket sales desk and managed to tell the vender what happened, where I thought I left my phone, and what my phone looked like (all in Finnish). She called the conductor of the train, but unfortunately my phone would be going to the train company’s lost and found centre in Helsinki anyways, if it was found. So here I am in Seinäjoki, a town I don’t know very well, without my only communication link. All I knew was the name of the coffee place we were meeting and the approximate time. So I wandered around, walked into a mall, and looked at the mall map to find the coffee place was in the same building! Lucky! But I was about 30 minutes early so I read my book. An hour later, some exchange students snuck up on me. We all went for Chinese food and a little Christmas shopping. Those present were me, the three Aussies in Seinäjoki, an American who was an exchange student to this area last year and decided to move back to work and go to school here, and another Aussie from a more northern city. We had some coffee, did a little more shopping (I bought 2 new sweaters for myself), and played cards. To finish it off, one of the exchange student’s former host moms drove me to the ice rink where Sampo had another hockey game.
Pippurikakkutalomme (our gingerbread house)
The upcoming week at school was test week. For most exchange students this means an early start to Christmas vacation…but I wrote two tests. My chemistry test was about stoichiometry, reaction kinetics, and energy. Even though it was all in Finnish and my teacher spoke no English, I received a respectable mark of a 9 (a low A). I also wrote my second grade math test which seemed fairly easy but I haven’t received my number yet. The day of my chemistry test, my friend Kimmo dressed up as joulupukki (Santa Claus) and handed out candy as people left the cafeteria. Some days, even when I wasn’t writing a test, I would go to school just to eat lunch and hang out with my friends. During the week I did some more gingerbread baking and decorating and we made a pippurikakkutalo (gingerbread house) which we decorated with some Smarties from Canada. I also received a Christmas card from my Grannie and Grandad. Thank you so much, it really brightened up my day when my host mom delivered it to me.
The full choir (I am right beneath Jesus)
Last Sunday, the church choir had their annual Christmas concert, which I was fortunate enough to perform in. Some of the songs were familiar but with new words, and some were completely new to me (that is they were new to me before the rehearsals). I really enjoy singing in the choir and the concert was very enjoyable.
This week I finally started getting into the Christmas mood. I made some of my favourite cookies from home: the “Best” Davidson Shortbread and Candy Cane cookies. I watched some Christmas movies: The Polar Express and The Grinch (animated version of course).
The other day my phone was returned to me through the mail. I never want to leave anything on the train ever again; it is too expensive to get it back! I recently received my first package from home, which has seemed like it has been in the mail forever. I was packed full of candy, Canada paraphernalia, and maple syrup. My room still smells like maple!

Stay tuned for my post next week which will be all about my Christmas and the accompanying celebrations here in Finland.
Hyvää Joulua Kaikille! Merry Christmas to Everyone!

5 comments:

  1. hate to be a nag, but it's piparkakku, not pippurikakku
    t.kalle

    ReplyDelete
  2. why has no one corrected me before???
    people must be bound and determined to make it so that I can't learn Finnish :P
    ... are you sure you don't want to eat black pepper cake?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peter! Your host sibling is so cute!
    Great blog, have a Merry Christmas.
    -Rachel Krutow

    ReplyDelete
  4. "... was test week. For most exchange students this means an early start to christmas vacation..." You weren't thinking of me there, were you ;)
    martin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your little sis is cuteeeeee and adorable!

    ReplyDelete